Monday, April 19, 2010

Book Review


Someone lent me this book, "Where Is God When It Hurts?" by Phillip Yancey, a few months back when they heard about my ongoing health struggle. I didn't feel ready or able to read or intellectualize about my pain yet; all I could do was feel.

But one day, weeks later, something changed, and I picked up the book. I loved every page, and I just finished it tonight. I am convinced that at least one copy belongs on my shelf now at all times!

I can't wait to own this book, because it has meant so much to me in this time of "hurting," and it has treated the question of "Where is God?" in such a helpful, practical, sensitive, and honest way, not to mention the fact that it approaches the question from composite medical, psychological, and biblical perspectives. If you've talked to me in any depth in the past two years, then you know that that last phrase equals I heart this book! This was my first Yancey read, and I am ready for more.

If you're in a time of suffering in your life, don't borrow this book- get your own copy so that you can underline and highlight and note to your heart's content as you read. I know I wish I had been able to do the same.

If all is well for you in this season of life, this book is still relevant for you; "Where Is God When It Hurts?" is so helpful in learning how to understand, relate, and minister to others in pain, and it helps answer the deep-seated question in all of us about why our good God allows such suffering.

I couldn't recommend this book more highly- it will leave you greatly enriched!

Some of the best additional resources I have come across on trials and suffering:

-"Turning Your Trials to Gold" Audio or DVD series by Dr. James MacDonald
-"A Grace Disguised" by Jerry Sittser

No comments: