Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Community


On my walk home from work tonight, I swiped through a couple screens of Facebook on my phone while waiting at stoplights.
Just as I was thinking about how Facebook turns into Babybook near the end of your 20's, I spotted this little gem (your baby is a gem too).

Community is an upward climb in the city, but I'd be silly to think this an urban challenge only.
 Yes, in the city half the battle is getting a parking spot.
Then there's the buzzer to get in the door, the desk attendant who wants all but your social security number, elevator rides with strangers, and all to visit our apartment with no dining room or even kitchen table.

Our friends have eaten on (read: not off) our living room floor and couches for years.
While husband and I can wax eloquent about just how we would string the lights over our hypothetical outdoor patio and the hours we would spend sitting out under those lights and stars with our suburb friends and neighbors, I really hope we never live in the suburbs.
Like cross my heart, hope to die, stick a needle in my eye hope.

Community is for here and for now, no matter where we live.
My favorites from the list...

Turn off your TV     Leave your house     Know your neighbors  

Use your library     Have potlucks     

Read stories aloud     Dance in the street     Start a tradition

Organize a block party     Open your shades

Share your skills     Take back the night

Know that no one is silent though many are not heard.

How do you build community, or hope to, in your here and now?

No comments: