Saturday, February 5, 2011

Celebrating Neal

His 29th birthday;
His Master's degree;
and some daily life with him who I am lucky to call husband.

I'm realizing, 4 1/2 years into marriage and a few mountaintops and valleys in, my Neal is worth celebrating every day.
I mean, when I ask him to turn off the bedside lamp on my side because I fell into bed and just can't move, he's worth celebrating.
When I put the Brita water pitcher back into the fridge empty because I'm too hurried to stop and fill it, and he fills it.
And a million other things he does for me, with me.
Those are the little things.
The big things would take quite a list.

There are a few days in particular that call for setting aside the usual.
For photo-snapping and dresses and ties and favorite restaurants and family.
Days that I wouldn't want to pass through without stopping and saying to him, "I'm proud of you," and "You make my world go 'round."

{M.A. Graduation from Wheaton}
After 3 years of hard work, Neal received his Master's degree in Biblical Exegesis (which, simply put is studying the Bible in its original languages to interpret and explain it).
I have to say, I'm so proud of him.  Anyone familiar with the program knows it's not known for being easy.
We celebrated over dinner with Neal's parents at one of our all-time favorite restaurants, Thipi Thai in Wheaton.
 
  

{City celebration at Brazzas}
My parents took Neal to a Brazilian steakhouse downtown to celebrate.
We talked about Neal's future plans of possibly pursuing a doctorate, but mostly we just ate a lot of meat.
 

{29th Birthday}
We tried a new restaurant for Neal's birthday, Urban Burger Bar on Clybourn Ave.
I consider myself somewhat of a burger connoisseur, and we were both really happy with this place!
We enjoyed cheeseburgers and strawberry shakes and conversation about the 365 days left for Neal before 30!
And here's where it gets a little bit random.
But it involves Neal, celebrating, and some every day life, so let's go with it.

{Breakfast out on New Year's Eve morning}
We thought this would be a fun tradition, but while it was a good thought, we walked from restaurant to restaurant with lines out the door.
We eventually landed at Yolk, where we toasted the new year early with coffee, strawberry-orange juice, and skillets.
{Coffee Shops}
One of the best things to do together in the winter.
Daily (city) life kinda stuff.

So, the latest is that I have a 29 year-old husband with his M.A.
I like it.

2 comments:

ilene @ muchloveilly said...

aw yay! i love it too - and as always you two are so cute!! congrats to neal!!!

Sarah Smith said...

Congrats!! that's awesome and i'm excited for both of ya'll. What coffee shop are you in? it looks so neat. - Sarah