Monday, October 25, 2010

My Very Soul is Wedded To It



Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns.
- George Eliot

The last of the fall break pictures.
Too hard to pick a favorite, but of these, my very soul says, delicious autumn!
After a late afternoon run through leaf-covered trails, Neal and I pulled on hoodies and climbed into the boat under a pile of blankets.

As the still waters carried us on a tour of colors, we chattered and told stories with Neal's parents, interrupted only by that one side of the lake that runs shallower and always delivers a momentary silence... Are we stuck?
But then Dad revs the engine inasmuch as you can rev a pontoon boat engine, and we're off again, laughing and describing the life-flashing-before-our-eyes scenes our psyches just over-reacted with, as fight or flight translates to paddle or swim, respectively.

But of course, we stay dry, and the only sensation I feel is not fight or flight, but the delicious feeling of mingled energy and calm flowing through my post-jog, autumn-boating being.










Oh. And then home again. The going home part always seems to happen.

Good thing we really, really like Chicago in the fall.
G'night!

3 comments:

ilene @ muchloveilly said...

aaaaww! those are some cool pics at the lake - but yes, to chicago in the fall. i think besides summer, its one of the better seasons in the city!! and of course, spring too. did i intentionally leave out winter...? ;) i def won't miss that!

love you.

Whitney Lane said...

autumn boating... could anything be more perfect?! sounds wonderful!!

Anonymous said...

I love the word pictures that you create in my mind. That's the sign of a good writer, btw. Love you!