Tuesday, August 10, 2010

New Beginnings

Last night I did something I've never done before.

I went on a bike ride in the city by myself
. Sounds strange, even to my own ears, that I wouldn't have done that before. But truth be told, I don't much like being by myself, and usually if I want to do something in the city, I want to enjoy it with someone else.

But last night after dinner, Neal had to study (now just one final away from his Masters!), and it was a beautiful summer evening. It was too late to make plans to with someone else, but then I thought of my bike and of Lake Shore Path. I'd hardly be alone there. I grabbed my bike lock key and camera bag and considered it a date.

It was lovely. I think I might have to try it again sometime.

While I rode, I thought some of how I love living in this city. I thought some about students arriving soon, and about how our ministry to student leaders starts for the year... tomorrow.

I think Neal and I are both ready for this year. Not exactly in a dramatic way, but in a "the-tide-is-rolling-in" way that feels inevitable and natural and good.

New beginnings. Year No. 2 at Moody. Year No. 1 ended up being the most challenging season of my life to date, which came entirely unexpected. Year No. 2... expect the unexpected. Open wide my mind for possibilities. Reach for my soul to be stretched. Be content in all joys and trials. Pray. Watch. Trust.

I'm glad to be here.

No comments: